Family & Community Engagement Plan
Piedmont Elementary 2021-2022
The Piedmont Elementary School faculty and staff recognizes that the involvement of our families and community partners is an integral part of our school's success. PES will use the following strategies to communicate with and to involve parents and community partners in our school's vision and mission.
· PES has an open-door policy for all families and community partners. At any moment, a family member or community partner can reach out to the school to discuss any thoughts, questions, concerns, etc.
· Parent/School/Student Compacts are utilized at PES to outline responsibilities for each stakeholder in the process of achieving student success.
· Student handbooks are sent home at the beginning of the school year to inform students and families of the school expectations and procedures.
· The administration conducts a Title 1 school informational meeting at the beginning of the year to discuss parental rights, expenditures of funds, and opportunities to be involved with PES.
· Informative flyers and school calendars will be sent home regularly to inform parents of important and upcoming events, information about the school, reminders, etc.
· Open House is held in the fall semester.
· Parent-Teacher Conferences are held in the fall and spring semesters. Parents are also welcome to set up additional conferences throughout the school year.
· Families are given timely reports on progress with report cards every 9 weeks and mid-terms between each 9-week reporting period.
· Student academic progress is available for parents and guardians to view through the Aspen student portal. Teachers and administration are available to help parents and guardians use the Aspen student portal.
· If volunteers can be utilized on a more regular basis (due to COVID), volunteers can volunteer in the following capacity: one-on-one and small group tutoring, chaperoning field trips, and classroom assistance. Administrators will train volunteers on appropriate discipline and FERPA policies along with health and safety measures.
· Before and after-school tutoring is available to students based on individual deficits.
· PES has developed an attendance intervention plan to decrease chronic absenteeism. Students and families are involved in the creation of attendance contracts.
· PES has established a parent as a member of the school leadership team.
· PES hosts family literacy events in the fall and spring to encourage students and families to embrace reading and learning outside the classroom (based on current COVID guidance).
· Home visits are conducted through collaboration with our Family Resource Center. Our pre-k teacher conducts two home visits a year per student as a pre-k initiative.
· PES will utilize our updated website found at http://pes.jc-tn.net/. This site contains all faculty email addresses for easy access. It also contains articles highlighting school activities and student work.
· The "One Call" phone system will be utilized to notify families of important information, current events, etc.
· PES will maintain a Facebook page as an outlet for important information, current events, etc. The Facebook page will also be used to recognize and celebrate the great things happening at PES.
· PES has an informational television located in the front foyer to update/remind teachers, parents, and students of events and information